At Challenge Southern Highlands (CSH) we are committed to protecting an individual’s right to privacy. We do not sell, rent or trade the information we collect. We maintain the necessary internal control systems to ensure that information is secure. We do not send information overseas.
What Is Your Personal Information?
Your personal information is any information or an opinion (whether true or not) about you. It may range from the very sensitive (e.g. medical history or condition) to the everyday (e.g. address and phone number). We only collect personal information necessary for the purposes of processing requests you make of us; offering you products or services or determining your likely interest in donating funds. Personal information includes sensitive information.
What Is ‘Sensitive Information’?
Sensitive information is a special category of personal information. It is information or opinion about your:
- racial or ethnic origin;
- political opinion;
- membership of a political association or religious beliefs, affiliations or philosophical beliefs;
- membership of a professional or trade association or membership of a trade union;
- sexual preferences or practices;
- criminal record;
- health or disability (at any time);
- expressed wishes about the future provision of health services.
It includes personal information collected to provide a health service.
In accordance with other laws such as Anti-Discrimination, we will only seek to collect sensitive information (for example health information or information about your racial or ethnic origin or any criminal record), if in our view it is necessary for the delivery of your service or our business purpose (for example, complying with legislation), and/or for the inherent requirements of a position with CSH.
Sensitive information can, in most cases, only be disclosed with your consent.
What Information Do We Collect, Hold And Use?
The type of personal information CSH may collect and hold includes (but is not limited to):
- your contact information such as full name, e-mail address, current postal address and phone numbers;
- your date of birth;
- relevant payment or billing information (including bank account details, credit card details, billing address and invoice details) if you are making a donation or requesting or providing goods or services from or to CSH;
- information provided within applications for employment with CSH;
- responses to questions or queries that CSH may ask you;
- information given when we are soliciting donor / voluntary;
- information required to improve the services and information we provide;
How Will Your Information Be Collected?
Most information we hold is collected directly from you. We also collect information from publicly available websites, directories and databases and via Twitter and other social media tools.
Specific ways that CSH may collect your information include:
- when you make an inquiry about using our services & support either directly or through our website;
- information you have authorised a third party to pass on to CSH;
- directly when you make a donation or volunteer;
- directly when you apply for a position with CSH via your resume/application form;
- when we receive any reference about you;
- when you are named in feedback (whether positive or negative);
- when we receive a complaint from or about you;
- when we receive information about an insurance investigation, litigation, registration or professional disciplinary matter, criminal matter, inquest, worker’s compensation claim or inquiry in which you are involved;
- or you provide us with any additional information about you.
CSH may also collect personal information in the normal course of business. This information is collected through meetings, phone calls, letters, faxes, e-mails, as well as agreements, documents and dealings.
You have the right to withhold your name or to use a pseudonym in place of your real name to identify yourself although where it is impracticable for CSH to deal with individuals who have not identified themselves, such as for the purchase of goods or services by means of a credit card, you will need to supply your real name.
When making a donation to, or requesting goods or services from, CSH, some information may be identified as mandatory or voluntary. If you do not provide the mandatory data, CSH may not be able to process the donation or effectively provide services to you.
Anonymous donations may be made to CSH at any time. Please note that we are unable to provide anonymous donors with receipts.
If, for any reason, CSH collects your personal information from another organisation, CSH will, whenever reasonable, make you aware of this fact and why your personal information was received that way.
How Will Your Information Be Used And Disclosed?
We do not sell, rent or trade the information that we collect. CSH may use and disclose your personal information for the primary purpose for which it is collected or for the following purposes:-.
We will only disclose certain information if the disclosure is required or authorised by law or the disclosure is necessary for the business of CSH.
You consent to CSH, its contractors, employees, volunteers, agents and third party service providers using and disclosing your personal information for the primary purpose for which it was collected or for:
- verifying your identify;
- your actual or possible work placement;
- our management of any complaint, feedback, investigation or inquiry in which you are involved;
- any insurance claim or proposal that requires disclosure of your personal or sensitive information;
- to support the needs of the service user;
- fund raising, including processing donations, providing receipts and the administration and management of donations;
- providing goods and services to you;
- asking for your participation in our campaigns;
- improving our web site and any goods or services provided by CSH, including contacting you about those improvements and asking you to participate in surveys;
- direct marketing by, or on behalf of, CSH, including in relation to events, conferences and promotional activities (including by direct mail, telemarketing, e-mail, SMS and MMS messages);
- providing information on our compliance with applicable laws, and;
- any other matters reasonably necessary to facilitate the primary purpose for which the personal information was collected.
You also consent to CSH disclosing your personal information to:
- our authorised personnel;
- a related body corporate, and;
- third party contractors, business partners, distributors, suppliers and other entities that may provide services for CSH. Examples of these may include electronic communications, storage of data, deliveries, mail-outs, market research, public relations, debt collection agencies, legal advisers, auditors and the like. CSH provides its partners with personal information about you only as needed to perform their services and CSH imposes strict requirements of security and confidentiality on them and how they handle your personal information. CSH makes it clear that its partners are not permitted to use your personal information for any other purpose except to perform the services CSH has asked them to provide.
Credit information about you may be obtained from and provided to credit reporting agencies in accordance with applicable legislation.
It is CSH’s policy only to send e-mails to customers who give us permission to do so. You hereby consent to CSH sending you e-mails. Every e-mail will include instructions on how you may unsubscribe if you do not wish to receive any future e-mails
Due to the nature of the Internet, CSH cannot provide any guarantee or warranty regarding the security of your personal information during transmission to or by us or storage by us and you acknowledge that you disclose your personal information to CSH at your own risk. When we are informed of any unauthorised use of your personal information on the Internet we will take reasonable steps to investigate and correct the matter if warranted.
How Can You Gain Access To Your Information To Correct It If It Is Wrong?
Subject to some exceptions which are set out in APP12 and APP13, you have a right to see and have a copy of personal and sensitive information about you that we hold.
We will use our reasonable endeavours to ensure that:
- your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date and relevant for the purpose for which it was collected;
- your personal information is protected from misuse, loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, and;
- your personal information that is no longer needed for any authorised purpose is destroyed or permanently de-identified where it is legal and reasonable to do so.
If you are able to establish that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, we will take reasonable steps to correct it so that it is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
If we are unable to agree that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date, you may ask us to place with the information a statement by you that claims that particular information is not accurate, complete and up-to-date.
If you wish to exercise your rights of access and correction, please refer to the section below: ‘How to contact us’.
In some cases we may impose a moderate charge for providing access to personal or sensitive information, where the request creates a cost burden to CSH. We will not charge you simply because you lodge a request for access.
How Do We Store And Protect The Information We Hold About You?
CSH require all employees as part of their employment contract to respect the confidentiality of personal information and the privacy of customers and donors.
We will take steps to protect personal information held by CSH from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, for example, by use of physical security and restricted access to electronic records. We will store your personal information for a reasonable period of time necessary for us to provide services to you as required by law.
Visiting Our Web Site
CSH does not collect personal information from our users of the web site www.challengesh.org.au other than what is supplied on a voluntary basis. CSH may analyse its web site logs, including information regarding IP addresses, to constantly improve the value of the content available on the web site, but information in our web site logs is not personally identifiable and CSH makes no attempt to link that information with the individuals that browse the web site.
CSH reserves the right to use ‘cookies’ or any other methods to record information that is personally identifiable such as a visitor’s contact details, IP address, domain name or operating system but only within the limits of the law and unless you deny access.
Third Party Web Sites
You may follow links on our web site to other third party web sites. CSH encourages you to always read the privacy policies/Statements on those other sites as they may also collect your personal information. CSH is not responsible for the information on, and the contents of, those other sites or their practices or policies.
Availability Of Privacy Statement
A copy of this Statement is available at https://challengesh.org.au/privacy/.
How To Contact Us
Any queries about our Privacy Statement or required access or changes to the information we hold may be made by contacting the CSH Privacy Officer at our Corporate Office on 02 94872-6600 during normal office hours which are 9.00am – 5.00pm or by mail to: PO Box 67 Bowral 2576.
Any person who wishes to make a complaint should contact the CSH Privacy Officer. A person making a complaint will receive an acknowledgment of the receipt of the complaint from the CSH Privacy Officer by letter, phone call or e-mail within 14 days of making the complaint and be advised what steps will be taken to investigate the complaint. The CSH Privacy Officer will investigate the complaint and aim to resolve it within 28 days. You will be informed of the outcome of the complaint and the reasons for the decision.
In addition to all the above, CSH will obtain your specific consent before:
- asking for your participation in our campaigns, and/ or;
- contacting you about improving our web site and/or any goods or services provided by CSH, including asking you to participate in surveys, and/ or;
- Direct marketing by, or on behalf of, CSH, including in relation to events, conferences and promotional activities (including by direct mail, telemarketing, e-mail, SMS and MMS messages);
CSH Employee Consents
Employees also consent to CSH disclosing their personal information to our authorised personnel for:
- performance reviews;
- assessment of ongoing performance and prospects;
- identification of training needs;
- workplace rehabilitation management